Here are a few guidelines to assist with the consistent use of tags in WhatSpecies:
- Always use lower case letters - no exceptions (for example table mountain).
- Use commas to separate different tags (for example table mountain, proteas).
- Only use spaces, and if needed hyphens, to separate words in one phrase.
- Keep abbreviations to a minimum.
- Use a plural base (for example "proteas" over "protea", or "frogs" over "frog").
- Try to use no more than five tags per observation.
Tip: Look at your observation from a search angle and ask yourself: "What search term should a person have to enter to find this observation?". Those search terms can then be considered as tags.